Monday 25 January 2016

The one where goodbye turns into hello

As you can see: still not the best at taking pictures

I started writing this post and it was all unclear mumbling about whatever that's on my mind. I've been talking about changes a LOT lately. Not going into detail about them. However, I gotta say that it might turn some goodbyes into a few hellos. Hello to new friends that is. You probably got no idea what I'm talking about (neither do I).
The other day I had some (pretty new) friends over for dinner. We had been planning it for quite a while now, but life and the holidays got in the way. However, this time in between the planning of our dinner date and the actual date itself, allowed me to prepare well in advance. Or so I thought.

I had everything planned out so beautifully. I had an Italian starter - which means Italian themed food for the rest of the evening. So I had pizza for starter, mint and asparagus risotto as main and salted caramel panna cotta for dessert.

The morning before, I started drawing up my grocery list. And then it hit me: "Crap, if I want to make pizza, I need that f*$#@|& Italian flour.". Italian flour (doppio zero) which they don't sell at the supermarket. Great.

Change of plan. I decided to make an easy Asian inspired soup for starter. No way I was going to continue my all Italian theme for the night. So risotto turned into noodles, panna cotta became rice pudding with caramelized pineapple. Had never tried the main and the dessert before, so I basically had no clue what it was going to taste like. But according to my audience, it tasted pretty OK.

Want to try the noodles yourself? Then read on! Dessert is coming later this week ;).

Ingredients (3 to 4 people)

Shrimp

  • 300 grams peeled and deveined shrimp
  • 4 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tbs honey
  • chili pepper to taste
  • 1 cm of ginger, cleaned and grated
  • 1 small clove of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Noodles
  • 250 grams soba noodles
  • 100 grams chestnut mushrooms
  • 100 grams green asparagus tips
  • 200 grams sugar snaps
  • 1 cm of ginger, cleaned and grated
  • 1 small clove of garlic, chopped
  • 1 lime
  • 3 chives
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • soy sauce
  • cilantro
  • wok oil
What to do
  • Mix all ingredients for the shrimp in a bowl (besides the shrimp themselves). Cover the shrimp with the marinade and leave in the fridge for a bit.
  • Bring water to a boil and add some salt. Boil the sugar snaps and the asparagus for 1.5 min. Drain and rinse with cold water. Leave to drain.
  • Cook the noodles according to package.
  • Chop the mushrooms into slice, cut the chives. You can prep up until here (what I did). Put everything aside and continue when your guests have arrived.
  • Heat a wok pan over high heat, add the wok oil.
  • Throw in the sugar snaps and the asparagus. 
  • Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and mushrooms.
  • Add the shrimp. Continue with the high heat until almost cooked.
  • Add the noodles and half of the chives and the cilantro. Give it a good stir.
  • TASTE! Add something extra of whatever you like in case you think it's necessary.
  • Serve with some lime, a nice cucumber salad (will give you the recipe for that one as well)...
  • Bon'ap!
source: culy.nl

How do you feel about Asian food? And how about themed dinner parties?

Promise me you'll try this!

Love,
Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment