Thursday 24 December 2015

The one about smashing pumpkins



I have this thing for pumpkin. It started when I got myself a pasta maker. I was absolutely craving homemade ravioli, with a delicious and rich pumpkin filling with sage. And of course some sage butter. And then there was pumpkin puree. Made out of the remaining pumpkin filling, combined with grilled lamb chops. After that followed the idea for a pumpkin cake - pumpkin puree, all spice, ginger, brown sugar, orange zest. Everything. Although it never happened, I'm pretty sure it would be a good idea. And since pumpkin season isn't over yet... You see where I'm going with this one.

Today however, it's time for an old recipe. A variant of something I have posted before. So you might consider it a little boring. However, try it and I'll prove you wrong.

I'm talking about the best pumpkin soup. The easiest pumpkin soup. And a pumpkin soup that will stand out on your Christmas table in all its simplicity.

Ingredients (serves 4)


  • 500 grams of chopped pumpkin, peel still on
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 stalk of leek
  • Butter
  • Some fresh age


What to do

  • About the pumpkin. I mostly use butternut, take out the seeds, chop it up (don't discard the peel), put it in the oven on 200°C until soft and tender - about an hour.
  • Chop up the onion, the garlic and the leek.
  • Add butter to pan, put pan on medium heat.
  • Add onion, garlic and leek. Let it simmer for a bit.
  • Add the pumpkin. 
  • Add water until it's all covered.
  • Put lid on top and simmer, simmer away for about 20 min. 
  • Mix.
  • Put some butter in a pan medium to high heat, let it brown - NOT BURN. Keep a close eye on it.
  • Once brown, take from the heat, add in the fresh sage and let it fry for a bit.
  • Serve, drizzle some sage butter on top and finish with some fried sage.
Et voilĂ , bon'ap!

How do you feel about pumpkin? Any other recipe I should give a go?

Love,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment