Monday 12 October 2015

What happened to Indian summer?



I feel fall in the air! And I can't only feel it: I definitely see it as well. Feels as if summer's already ages ago, and I have no idea what I've done in between. Might be because I was in Portugal the week when Indian summer decided to call it quits. Can't hear me complaining though. Wanna know what I love about fall?

Probably all the stereotypical things. Cosiness, hot cocoa and warm blankets, scented candles, long walks under the leaves. Everything cinnamon spiced and the promise of Christmas. The instant happiness when the sun pops around the corner. And honestly I got my Christmas playlist on repeat since last night. Just love the way it makes me feel. Haha sounds really dorky, but there's no shame in my game.

An example: after a bike ride yesterday I went chestnut picking. Typical autumn activity, which brings me immediately to one of the things I love best about fall: food. Hot oven dishes, cosy evenings spent around the kitchen table, rich and delicious food. Can't help but thinking about creamy purees, silky sauces, mmm... And not to forget about cheese sauce. Nothing that's more autumn-y than that.

Anyhow, the fact that we won't have to be flaunting our beach bods anyday soon (and still, if I would have to, I wouldn't really care all that much), doesn't mean we should indulge in cheese, sauce, or a combination of both. That's why I made myself the ultimate fall dish tonight: lentils and grilled veggies. No recipe needed for this: cook lentils as said on package, slice veggies (I did German and regular turnips, parsnip, onion, radishes and probably some I forgot about), put veggies in an oven dish, sprinkle with salt - pepper - olive oil, put in oven on 200°C for about 20-30 min. Done and serve. Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment