Thursday 5 November 2015

I hum, you hum, we hummus

 
There's two kinds of people in life: those that like hummus and those that hate it. Or scratch that and make it three: lovers, haters and those that never tried it. I definitely belong to that first group. Hummus is so good as a snack, a small appetizer or even as a dressing (especially over oven grilled broccoli with extra sesame seeds on top). I love it with extra garlic and lemon juice - guess I like strong flavours.
It had been a while since I'd made some hummus, but this week I was feeling the vibe again. On Wednesday evening I made some as an appetizer, together with sourdough toast. Had some leftover sourdough bread, drizzled olive oil over a couple of slices, in the oven for a bit and TADAAA: yummy toast with a delicious and healthy spread. Of course had to add a glass of wine in order the create the ultimate mid week-weekend feeling.
 
Gotta say I don't stick to an original recipe when it comes to hummus. I don't know why, but I don't really like the taste of tahini in it. So this is hummus RAWS style, wanna know how?
 
Ingredients
1 can of chickpeas
1 clove of garlic
Juice of half a lemon
2 spoons of olive oil
Teaspoon of harissa
Pepper
Salt
 
Recipe
  1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Keep the liquid in a bowl and set aside.
  2. Combine all remaining ingredients in a blender/recipient for a regular mixer, but keep some peas on the side.
  3. Mix away. Add some of the chickpea liquid in case the consistency is too dry.
  4. Add olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt (even garlic) to taste. I added some za'atar as well, as some pumpkin and flax seeds. Honestly: go crazy with everything you'd like to try.
  5. Put the remaining chickpeas on top.
  6. Bon'ap!
 

 
Do you like hummus? And have you ever tried making hummus from something else than chickpeas?
 
Love,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment