Friday 18 March 2016

City hopping: The Hague


In February the boyfriend and I both had our birthdays. Only one week apart so that called for some celebrating! I wanted to surprise him with a weekend away, preferably to a place not too far away. I first thought of some places in the north of France or a city like Amsterdam, but I didn't find anything that could really catch my fancy. So I had to think out of the box and booked us two nights in The Hague.
We arrived on Friday night after some travelling issues (someone forgot some of her/his stuff at home, so we had to drive back before we could officially start our weekend away). When we got there, we immediately went for dinner at a place called Walter Benedict. A regular steak for the mister and some steak tartare for me, with French fries, coleslaw and some delicious bread to share. Moelleux for two for dessert and off we went. Couldn't have thought of a better start of a great weekend.

The next days we ate, we drank, we ate some more. We walked around the city and really enjoyed everything it had to offer. The Hague is good for shopping, food, sightseeing and some culture. I loved the fact that it was a mix of old and new, with the typical "grachten" running through the city. Right now I'm wishing I had taken more pictures. I only have the picture on top of this post, which was taken in a huge shopping street.

When it comes to shopping, we usually try to avoid the usual high streets, because they're just too crowded. The Hague has some cool places outside the busy shopping area, where you can find loads of nice things . We were there pretty early in the morning (I guess at 10) and there was no one around. It was perfect to stroll around while it still was so calm.

The best thing though was the fact that The Hague is so close to the seaside. On Sunday we first went to Scheveningen, the seaside city closest to The Hague. We didn't really feel the place, so we got back in the car and kept driving until we ended up in a town called "Monster". It was lovely. It had far-stretched views and the best beach to go for a walk. Some lunch after; can't hear my complain.

So yes: I definitely recommend you to go visit The Hague! What city should I go to next, any ideas?

Love,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment