Thursday 24 March 2016

Lunch is back on the menu #1

since I took this salad to work for lunch, of course it needs this gorgeous container


Was it ever off the menu? I guess for some people breakfast would rather be off the menu. I don't understand either of both groups. Breakfast is the reason why I go to bed at night (something to look forward to - yay!). And lunch is probably the best part of my day at work (again: something to look forward to!).
As you probably know: since a couple of months I'm a real grown-up with a job and everything (de-dum). So my daily routine now also involves lunch prepping. If you've been reading my previous posts (anyone?), you know I'm trying to eat more healthy stuff. Bye bye bread rolls. ":(" times infinity.

I've been totally obsessed with lunch though. If I don't have time in the evening to do the prepping, I get up earlier the next day. Just because lunch is everything. And so are breakfast and dinner. The thought of having homemade lunch later that day gets me out of bed in no time. Anything that has to do with food does though.

I have some pretty good (and easy) lunch recipes I'd like to share with you. Whether you like it or not, here comes the first one. I've made this one already twice this week so there's no denying that it's GOOD.

I got the recipe from the beautiful website of Renée Kemps, reneekemps.com. I tweaked it a little bit because e.g. my supermarket didn't have pearl couscous.

Recipe (2 people)

Ingredients
Pearl barley
2 bulbs of fennel
1 large white onion
1 tbs olive oil
4 tbs white wine vinegar
3 tbs honey
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt
Pepper
Chili flakes
Pomegranate seeds
Mixture of nuts
Ghee

What to do?

You know I don't care about quantities too much. Just add ingredients until the flavours are right for you.
  1. Roast the nuts in a pan until they turn extra yummy and nutty.
  2. Cook the pearl barley according to instructions on the package.
  3. Slice the fennel and the onion.
  4. Pan on medium heat, add in the ghee. Add fennel and onion.
  5. Add 2 tbs white wine vinegar and 1 tbs honey. Let fennel and onion turn soft and semi caramelized.
  6. Make the dressing. Mix the olive oil and the rest of the vinegar and honey. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and chili flakes.
  7. Combine all ingredients and add some green of the fennel on top.
  8. Voilà, bon'ap!
Promise me you'll try this, it's SO SO good!
Do you have any lunch ideas I should give a try?

Love,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment